SAIC Tops Estimates
SAN FRANCISCO -- Sales of products and services for border security and intelligence projects helped defense contractor and engineering services firm SAIC (SAI) top third-quarter financial estimates.
The company also modified its annual guidance to suggest it would likely top its prior forecasts.
Third-quarter net income rose to $105 million, or 25 cents a share, from $98 million, or 28 cents a share, a year earlier. The drop in earnings per share stems from the higher share count.
Excluding a loss from discontinued operations, the company earned 26 cents a share, beating analysts' consensus estimate of 23 cents a share, according to Thomson Financial.Revenue rose 14% to $2.37 billion, also topping analysts' average estimate, helped by acquisitions and sales of defense, intelligence and domestic security products and services. Excluding acquisitions, revenue rose 8%. During the quarter, SAIC booked $3.9 billion in net new projects, for a book-to-bill ratio of 1.6. For the full year, the company said its earnings would fall near the top of -- or slightly above -- its originally forecasted range of 83 to 88 cents a share, which would likely beat analysts consensus forecast of 87 cents. SAIC expects revenue within its originally forecasted range of $8.7 billion to $9.0 billion, the midpoint of which is slightly ahead of analysts' views. Shares of SAIC were recently up 76 cents, or 3.8%, in after-hours trading to $20.60.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV