Texas Instruments Lifts Low End of Profit Forecast
Updated from 5:01 p.m. EST
Texas Instruments (TXN) bumped up the low end of its earnings outlook Monday, and said business in the wireless market is stronger-than-expected at this point in the fourth quarter.
The Dallas-based chipmaker said December orders for chips used in both high-end cell phones as well as low-priced models have not slackened from prior months, hinting at a healthy holiday sales season for cell phones.
TI's encouraging comments about wireless demand follow National Semiconductor's (NSM) earnings results last week, in which the company reported an 18% sequential increase in sales of cell phone chips.Shares of TI rose 4.5% in recent after-hours trading to $34.15. In its midquarter update, the Dallas-based chipmaker said earnings in the current quarter will range between 50 cents and 54 cents a share vs. its previous guidance of 48 cents to 54 cents. The midpoint of the new range -- 52 cents -- is a penny higher than the average analyst expectation. In a conference call with analysts Monday, TI investor relations head Ron Slaymaker said the company was benefiting from recent operating expense cuts, particularly the decision to outsource the manufacturing process for its digital chips. TI's increasing focus on high-performance analog chips, which carry plump profit margins, is also bolstering the company's bottom line. Slaymaker said demand for analog and high-performance analog chips continues to be solid in the current quarter, in keeping with the company's original projections.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV