MBIA Scores Big Investment
Rating agencies have not been swift to downgrade monoline insurers, preferring to give the companies sufficient time to address the capital concerns that have been raised. The implications of a significant monoline downgrade for these companies, which rely heavily on their credit rating to underwrite debt insurance, are significant because the insurers provide guarantees for some $2.5 trillion in debt.
MBIA has been the longtime target of activist investor Bill Ackman of Pershing Square Capital, which some five years ago questioned the company's practices and issued a report saying that it should not receive a triple-A rating. Ackman renewed his assault on the company two weeks ago, saying he expected his bets, via his $6 billion fund, that the insurer will fail would generate hundreds of millions in returns.
The Warburg lifeline for MBIA may be bad news for Ackman.
"We always look for unique opportunities to invest in differentiated franchises with talented management teams," said Warburg Managing Director David Coulter.The Warburg investment also affords the private equity company the right to nominate two directors to MBIA's board.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV