Top Nasdaq Short-Squeeze Stocks
Short squeezes take place when the short-sellers of a stock scramble to cover their bearish positions by buying shares of the stock as it moves up in price. Short-squeeze potential is measured by the short ratio, which is the number of days it would take the short-sellers to buy in their shares based on the stock's recent trading volume.
The Nasdaq has plenty of stocks with high short ratios to choose from, but the key is finding the ones with good financials, such as
A Nasdaq stock with a very high short ratio is National Western Life Insurance (NWLIA), an annuity and life insurance company with a short ratio of 79.6. Last month, the company reported third-quarter earnings of $15.6 million, or $4.28 a share, down from $16.1 million, or $4.40 a share the year before. On a non-GAAP basis, however, it generated earnings from operations of $16.6 million, or $4.55 a share, up from $15.9 million, or $4.37 a share in the previous year. The stocks has a P/E of 9.2.
National Western shows up in Deep Value Picks, a Stockpickr portfolio that contains stocks that trade below book value. Other stocks in the portfolio include Capstead Mortgage (CMO), which has a short ratio of 2, Platinum Underwriters Holdings (PTP), with a short ratio of 6, and Stone Energy (SGY), with a short ratio of 4.6.Another stock with a high short ratio is Enstar Group (ESGR), which acquires and manages insurance companies as well as underwrites insurance risks. It has a short ratio of 39.3. In November, the Bermuda-based company reported third-quarter net earnings of $2.6 million, or 21 cents a share, down sharply from the $11 million, or $1.10 a share, it posted a year ago. The stock has a P/E of 2.2.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV