UBS to Write Down Another $10 Billion
"In the last several months, continued speculation about the ultimate value of our subprime holdings -- which remains unknowable -- has been distracting. In our judgment, these writedowns will create maximum clarity on this issue and will have the effect of substantially eliminating speculation," he continued. "Together with the strengthening of our capital base this will allow us to concentrate on sustaining and developing our client businesses."
UBS' colossal writedown comes as securities firms including Merrill Lynch (MER) and Citigroup (C) struggle to regain footing as the credit crunch and housing downturn takes a toll on their securities businesses. Both firms, which took billions of losses from CDO writedowns in the third quarter, ousted their CEOs as a result.
Merrill Lynch has since hired former NYSE Euronext (NYX) CEO John Thain to head up the brokerage firm.
Citi is reportedly close to hiring a new CEO. The financial giant's board is expected to pick a new CEO at a board meeting scheduled for Monday and Tuesday, according to The Wall Street Journal.Citi also recently benefitted from a large foreign investment as it battles the recent credit environment. The Abu Dhabi Investment Authority last month invested $7.5 billion in the firm. Shares of UBS most recently rose 96 cents, or 2%, to $51.44 in trading on the New York Stock Exchange.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV