Dell's Best Buy Move Misses Holiday Cheer
SAN FRANCISCO -- The comeback story at Dell (DELL) has a way of frustrating even as it inspires.
The Round Rock, Texas, PC maker served up a prime example Thursday when it announced that it will sell notebook and desktop computers at Best Buy (BBY), the No.1 electronics retailer in the U.S., a nice coup for Dell as it revamps its sales strategy.
Unfortunately, Dell's timing is baffling, as its products will hit store shelves after Santa has left town.
Dell said it will offer a variety of PCs at 900 Best Buy stores "in the next few weeks." But spokesperson Bob Kaufman acknowledged that the products will not be available at Best Buy until after Christmas.That's no trivial issue, as it means Dell will miss the holiday shopping frenzy in Best Buy stores. Last year, holiday sales accounted for 19.6% of all U.S. retail sales, according to the National Retail Federation. At Best Buy, U.S. sales in December accounted for 15.6% of the company's total revenue last year. Dell, which until recently sold exclusively through direct phone and Internet orders, has been actively increasing its retail exposure,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV