Melco Needs Macau Momentum
In the third quarter, Melco reported its first full quarter of data for Crown. While revenue was decent at $98 million, the casino posted a loss, hurting from a high cost structure and volatile VIP play.
To fix matters, Melco signed an agreement with A-Max Holdings, an Asian holding company. A-Max is supplying capital to Ama International, which acts as an aggregator for junket operators. In the Macau casino market, VIP customers are brought into casinos by junket operators.
This week, A-Max finally raised $2 billion in Hong Kong currency through a placement on the Hong Kong exchange.
Under the agreement, Melco is guaranteed $30 billion (Hong Kong), or $3.8 billion in U.S. currency, of VIP chip bets each month. Effectively, this doubles the VIP rolling chip volume at Crown Macau. In return, Melco will pay Ama a commission ranging from 1.2% to 1.35%.Yet this guarantee seems to be little more than a promise. If A-Max can't deliver, then it appears Melco has little recourse. Doubling the chip volume makes the Crown Macau profitable. But can it really be done? I remain skeptical. For one thing, Wall Street analysts have been incredibly bullish on the deal. While a partnership could bring substantial profits, I'm still worried the deal could end up being a bust.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV