Take-Two Struggles to Stay in the Game
More Attractive With Age
But with Grand Theft Auto IV inching closer to the finish line, the stock could go higher, says a portfolio manager who did not want to be named.
"The concern that Grand Theft Auto IV is delayed is just short term," says the portfolio manager, who does not currently hold shares of Take-Two. "The game will release to an even larger installed base of consoles next year, which means cash flows only got pushed out from this year to the next."
Analysts upgrades are slowly flowing in, too. Take-Two was upgraded Wednesday to a buy from hold by an analyst at Kaufman Bros. on hopes that it will make an attractive buyout target as consolidation hits the games sector.Meanwhile, it's clear the market is betting Take-Two's future is as uncertain as its finances. That's evident in the level of short interest as a percentage of all shares outstanding, which stands at a whopping 31.6% for Take-Two. By contrast, the level of short interest is 3% for Activision (ATVI), 3.7% for Electronic Arts (ERTS), 15.7% for smaller rival THQ (THQI) and 22.7% for Midway (MWY).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV