Take-Two Struggles to Stay in the Game
"That game will dominate Take-Two's story all year," says Brian Sozzi, an analyst with Wall Street Strategies, an independent research firm. "It's going to be huge because it is one of the strongest franchises in the industry, going beyond Guitar Hero and almost on par with Halo."
"Take-Two will probably be fine on the cash side, although I think cash will be tight, and they may have to manage liquidity," says Pachter, the analyst with Wedbush Morgan.
Pachter, who has a sell rating on the stock, says Take-Two doesn't face bankruptcy but the stock is not worth its current price. "The market has valued the contribution from Grand Theft Auto higher than I do," he says.
While Grand Theft Auto IV, is expected to give the ailing company a shot of adrenaline, it does show Take-Two's vulnerability as a company reliant on one blockbuster for its revenue.Because of the delay of the next Grand Theft Auto game, the company's earnings have drifted from $1.37 a share in fiscal 2003 down to 91 cents a share in 2004 and 50 cents a share in 2005. It ended fiscal 2006 with a loss of $2.60. At the end of fiscal 2007, Take-Two is expected to post a loss of $2.06, according to analysts polled by Thomson Financial.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV