Take-Two Struggles to Stay in the Game
"Precarious is a pretty accurate word to describe their finances," says Arvind Bhatia, an analyst with Sterne, Agee & Leach. Bhatia has a sell rating on the stock and a price target of $12. Sterne Agee makes a market in Take-Two shares.
The company's situation took a turn for the worse in August when it said it will push back the release of Grand Theft Auto IV from October this year to second quarter fiscal 2008, ending April 30.
That forced Take-Two to reduce its revenue guidance for the financial year to a range of $950 million to $1 billion with a net loss in the range of $2.10 a share to $2.20 a share, including all charges. It had earlier forecast revenue in the range of $1.2 billion to $1.25 billion and break even on earnings, including all charges.
Despite the added financial pressures, analysts say Take-Two can pull through if it can carry out its launch of Grand Theft Auto IV on schedule.The forecast is rosy for Grand Theft Auto IV. Take-Two could sell 7.5 million to 8.5 million copies in the fiscal year 2008 ending Oct. 31 and 10.5 million to 11.5 million in the first full year, estimates Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush Morgan, which does not own shares of the company or have an investment banking relationship with it.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV