Your IRA Questions Answered
The following is a transcript of "Money Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for a Richer Life," a podcast from QuickAndDirtyTips.com. The audio program is available via RSS feed here and at TheStreet.com's podcast home page.
Hello and welcome to Money Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for a Richer Life.
Today's topic: more answers to your questions about investing for retirement.
Several of you have asked questions about investing for retirement and I want to answer some more of your questions in today's episode.
Taxes and Converting to a RothA listener named Ashish emailed me with this question:
Can I contribute to a traditional IRA account after taxes? I don't qualify for tax deductions due to income limits. I'm doing this so that I can convert my traditional IRA to a Roth in the year 2010. Secondly, will I have to pay taxes at the conversion time in 2010 if I contribute to a traditional IRA after taxes?Great questions, Ashish. The answer to your first question is yes. You can make non-deductible contributions to a traditional IRA even if you're not eligible to make deductible contributions. Although you miss out on the tax deduction, you still get the benefit of tax-deferred earnings growth. The IRA contribution limit for 2007 is $4,000 and it will go up to $5,000 in 2008. If you're age 50 or older, you can contribute an additional $1,000.
Advantages of Converting to a Roth in 2010Your strategy to contribute to a traditional IRA now so that you can convert it to a Roth in the year 2010 is an excellent one. Since your income is too high to allow you to contribute to a Roth now, by planning ahead and contributing to a traditional IRA first, you'll have a healthy sum to convert to a Roth come 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV