How to Get Sponsorship for Your Nonprofit
Whether it's finding funding for female entrepreneurs or greening your neighborhood, you know your nonprofit is doing important work for others.
But the corporate sponsors you depend on for funding are primarily interested in what you can do for them.
Before you yell "scrooge," think of it this way: If sponsors based their sponsorship decisions solely on a nonprofit's good-cause pitch, they'd be throwing business sense to the wind.
What's In It for Them?
Nell Merlino, founder of the nonprofit organization Count Me In For Women's Economic Independence, walked into the office of Susan Sobbott, president of Open, the small business division of American Express (AXP), armed with a goal to help 1 million women entrepreneurs reach $1 million in revenue by 2010.But Merlino's noble plan wasn't the primary reason Open became the founding sponsor of Count Me In's Make Mine a $Million program in 2005. "The [nonprofit] needs to be supporting our business strategy in order to warrant a financial relationship," says Michelle Thompson-Dolberry, director of advocacy marketing for Open. For many nonprofits, supporting a company's business strategy means granting them direct access to the nonprofit's demographic and the marketing opportunities that result. Open, for example, uses information from Count Me In's focus groups to gauge how business owners are using products such as Open's business line of credit.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV