Monday's Financial Winners & Losers
Financial stocks were mostly stuck in reverse on Monday as a plethora of bad news countered mounting calls for the government to bail out troubled subprime borrowers.
Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson essentially
Still, individual financial stocks were losing ground.
(WFC) -- all of which surged Friday on news their executives are
Also on Monday, Boston Federal Reserve President Eric Rosengren said evidence points to the foreclosure crisis getting "worse before it gets better." But he also said that one-fifth of subprime borrowers could actually be well-qualified enough to upgrade to prime loans and/or participate in loan guarantee programs.He also cited the 1.2 million subprime borrowers -- a full 55% of those with non-jumbo adjustable-rate mortgages (ARMs) occupying mortgaged houses -- who haven't missed a payment in the past year and could also qualify for a loan guarantee program.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV