MetLife Cuts 2008 Guidance
MetLife (MET) cut its 2008 profit guidance but sees opportunity for growth.
The New York insurance giant says it expects total operating earnings next year to be somewhere between $5.90 and $6.20 a share. That range is roughly flat with the company's projected operating earnings for 2007 of about $6.07.
Analysts expected MetLife to post earnings of $6.26 a share next year, according to Yahoo Finance.
The company, which is holding its annual investors' conference today, says it will post operating earning per share in a range between $1.40 and $1.45. That range compares with $1.36 a share in the year-ago quarter. Analysts had expected a profit of $1.44 a share.CEO Bob Henrikson said in a press release: "2007 is going to be another strong earnings year for MetLife." MetLife also expects to achieve an operating return on equity of 13.0% to 13.6% and spend $2.2 billion in stock buybacks in 2008. MetLife shares fell 91 cents to $64.68 in pre-market trading Monday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV