Debt Markets Rattling REIT Stocks
"I'm not buying the sector here," says one real estate hedge fund manager who already has REIT exposure. "There won't be any M&A in the sector in a meaningful way. Not in the near-term."
So unless you really love the dividend, buying the sector could be problematic because yields could continue spiking as stocks prices drop, and earnings growth may slow next year with the economy weakening.
At some level, investors continue to be worried about catching falling knives in the sector. To be clear, REITs are in far better shape than homebuilder stocks. But valuation concerns linger.
On the private side of the real estate market, cheap debt helped cause valuations to reach unrealistic levels -- the phenomenon of too much money cashing too few deals. Now, debt availability is severely limited. It's become clear that Sam Zell's sale of Equity Office Properties to Blackstone (BX) earlier this year marked the top of the market."Debt is out there, but it's a lot tougher," says Stephen Coyle, chief investment strategist with Citigroup Property Investors. "If someone is looking for debt with a deal of $100 million or less, it's out there. People are not getting debt on big giant deals. You can't do an EOP (Equity Office Properties) deal today."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV