Debt Markets Rattling REIT Stocks
"The steep decline in stock prices mixed with the occasional sharp upturn has created betas that are unusually high," wrote RBC Capital Markets analyst Rich Moore in a research note last week. "These kinds of betas should not be associated with companies that produce the generally stable earnings results found in the commercial real estate sector."
Sam Lieber, portfolio manager with Alpine Woods Capital, says the big selling pressure in REIT stocks is probably done. The recent drop in REIT prices was largely due to selling from non-dedicated REIT investors -- whose rapid buying helped fuel the sector's boom in recent years, he says.
Going forward, Lieber expects the fund flows into the sector to be less than the past two years, when shares rose sharply.
"A lot of that money came in from hedge funds that needed exposure or individual investors who wanted more exposure," Lieber says.Lieber's sense is that REIT prices may not be done correcting, but, he adds: "I think a lot of the bad news is in the prices."
Vexing ValuationsEven if dividend yields look good and fundamentals seem solid, the problems in the real estate debt markets continue to hurt valuations, which is why some investors are largely staying away from the stocks today.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV