Fund Investors in Buying Mood Again
Investors put down the leftovers and started putting their money back into mutual funds over the past week.
Equity funds pulled in $14.58 billion of new money during the week ended Wednesday, net of redemptions, according to TrimTabs Investment Research of Santa Rosa, Calif.
By comparison, investors redeemed a net $10.15 billion the previous week.
"It was definitely a better week," says Conrad Gann, president and chief operating officer of TrimTabs. "There was big shift for U.S. equity fund flows. I think part of it was the big run upward in the market earlier this week."The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 13,289.45 Wednesday, compared with 12,799.04 on Nov. 21. Funds that invest primarily in U.S. stocks took in $7.42 billion, replacing nearly all of the $7.93 that walked out the door the previous week. Funds that invest primarily in non-U.S. stocks took in $7.16 billion, more than reversing the $2.22 billion of outlfows the previous week. Bond funds posted inflows of $1.55 billion, compared with an outflow of $8 million during the previous week. Investors continued to pull money out of hybrid funds, which invest in both stocks and bonds. They had net redemptions of $661 million compared with $3 million during the previous week. Exchange-traded funds that invest in U.S. stocks took in a net $12.08 billion this past week, more than reversing the $4.39 billion in outflows the previous week. But investors pulled $620 million out of ETFs that invest in non-U.S. stocks, up from $141 million the previous week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV