Wednesday's Winners and Losers: Linktone
Online retailers posted gains after reports of strong sales on Cyber Monday, when online retailers offered heavy discounts and promotions to attract holiday shoppers.
Online sales for the Monday after Thanksgiving is expected to rise above $700 million, said comScore. Amazon (AMZN) was up $4.71, or 5.5%, to $90.30. eBay (EBAY) rose $1.23, or 3.8%, to $33.75. Overstock.com (OSTK) jumped 14.7% to $25.40 after a Stifel Nicolaus analyst upgraded the stock to hold from sell.
Biopharmaceutical company QLT (QLTI) said its board of directors formed a special committee of independent directors to review strategic alternatives, including the sale of all or part of the assets of the company. The company said its board is reviewing proposals from several investment bankers and expects to appoint a financial advisor to the committee in the near future. QLT's shares added 99 cents, or 25.5%, to $4.88.Many of today's biggest winners were based outside the U.S., and several hailed from China. Leading the rally was Shanghai-based telecom media provider Linktone (LTON). The company announced that Indonesian firm PT Media Nusantara Citra would buy 51% of Linktone's outstanding shares for $3.80 per American Depositary Share, which represents a premium of 54% over the Tuesday closing price. Shares rocketed 32% to $3.27.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV