AMR to Spin Off American Eagle
CFO Tom Horton hinted at an American Eagle spinoff on the carrier's third-quarter conference call. "If you look around the rest of the industry, most of the other airlines have the vast majority of their regional feed provided by independent regional carriers."
By contrast, Horton said the frequent-flier program "is the cornerstone for how we interact with our best customers," and questioned whether shedding it would benefit the airline.
All of the legacy carriers have said they are evaluating spinoffs. Furthest along is United, a unit of UAL (UAUA), which says it has identified a potential buyer for its maintenance operations and will brief union officials on the plan in the first quarter.
Additionally, Northwest (NWA) has indicated it's looking favorably at the possibility of spinning off its frequent-flier program, while Delta (DAL) is studying whether to unload its regional carrier Comair.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV