Monday's Winners and Losers: Hoku Scientific
Garmin (GRMN) jumped 5.3% on analysts' reports that the company's personal navigation devices were a hit in early holiday shopping. Big retailers including Wal-Mart (WMT) offered Garmin's products, with significant discounts as part of their early promotional items on Black Friday. The strong demand for navigation devices and Garmin's position as a market leader could help the company beat estimates for the fourth quarter, said analysts. Garmin was up $4.85 to $96.71.
VMware (VMW) fell $7.59, or 9.6%, to $71.25 after a report Friday by Cowen & Co. suggesting that the stock was overvalued. The report noted VMware could see upside potential in the fourth quarter but the underlying trend in numbers shows that growth is likely to decelerate by mid-2008. EMC (EMC), which holds an 86% stake in VMware, was down 5.8% to $17.38. Cowen kicked off its coverage of EMC with a neutral rating.
One of the big losers for the day, Franklin Bank (FBTX), increased by $20 million its allowance for credit losses in response to pressure on the housing market and the homebuilding sector. Shares of the Houston banking company crumbled 24% to $4.25.
Nataxis Bleichroeder initiated coverage on Medivation (MDVN) with a sell rating and a target price of $5. The firm said it has low confidence that Medivation's lead compound, Dimebon for Alzheimer's disease, will ever make it to market. "But even if it does, and we give the company credit for its Huntington's Disease and prostate cancer programs, our valuation analysis still suggests a $5 price target."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV