Do 'Bionic Woman' Stocks Have the Right Parts?
Editor's note: This column was submitted by Stockpickr member Susanne Owen, also known as the Trading Nymph.
NBC's reconstructed Bionic Woman series is proving successful, but what about the companies whose technologies really could rebuild a Jaime Sommers into a bionic phenom?
It's been about a month since Jim Cramer featured his bionic picks on "Mad Money." So after recent earnings reports, buyouts news and DOJ settlements, the question arises: Have these proven good, constructive picks for building a powerful portfolio -- especially in light of the fact that the S&P 500 has fallen about 7.8% since then?
The Oct. 10 "Mad Money", starring the "always dashing" Jim Cramer, featured Stryker (SYK) and Smith & Nephew (SNN), two orthopedic products makers that build the replacement parts needed to fix faulty joints like hips and knees. Cramer also featured Alcon (ACL), which makes surgical equipment and devices as well as consumer eye-care products to treat eye diseases and disorders.On his Oct. 12 "Mad Money" show, Cramer featured Tutogen Medical (TTG) as a speculative play. The company uses a process of tissue preservation to deliver sterile bio-implants that are used to repair various bone and other tissue defects in dental, spinal, urology, ophthalmology, head, neck and general surgery procedures. And finally, on his Oct. 16 show, Cramer featured Sonic Innovations (SNCI), which makes small, powerful hearing aids, as another speculative play. A couple of these bionic plays have since had to fight the Department of Justice. On Sept. 27 Smith & Nephew signed an agreement with the DOJ to defer prosecution. At issue was whether Smith & Nephew (along with Zimmer (ZMH), Stryker (SYK), Biomet and Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) subsidiary DePuy Orthopaedics) gave kickbacks to doctors for choosing their products.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV