Stop Singing the 401(k) Blues
The following is a transcript of "
Hello and welcome to Money Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for a Richer Life.
Today's topic: What should you do if your employer doesn't offer a retirement plan?
A listener named Tiffany called in with this question:
Hi, Money Girl. My name is Tiffany and I'm calling with a question. My question is if you already have an IRA and your company does not offer a 401(k), what's the next best way to start saving for retirement? Thank you.Thanks for the question, Tiffany.
An IRA Is the Place to StartBecause your employer doesn't offer a retirement plan, putting money away into an IRA is a smart thing to do, especially if you're eligible for a Roth, which is tax free, or tax-deductible contributions to a traditional IRA. It's smart to make use of these tax-advantaged ways to invest for retirement. Now, in your case, Tiffany, it sounds like you're already contributing the maximum to an IRA, which is great. So where should you look next?
Save Outside of a Tax-Advantaged PlanBeyond a tax-advantaged IRA, you'll want to save and invest through a regular brokerage account. While you won't get the tax advantages you get with a 401(k) or IRA, you'll have a wide range of investment choices available to you, and you can still invest in a tax-efficient way. Before beginning to invest with a brokerage account, be sure to first put away at least three to six months' worth of living expenses in an emergency fund. Also consider your other financial goals and how your retirement plan fits into the bigger picture. You may need to balance saving for retirement with other goals such as saving for a down payment on a house.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV