How to Save During the Holidays
The holiday season is a busy -- and expensive -- time of year.
There are the gifts you must buy and the parties you and your family have to attend. There are the people who serve you all year who you should tip. And it all comes on top of the regular bills you must pay and other expenses faced in everyday life.
As the season gets under way in earnest the day after Thanksgiving, here are a few articles from TheStreet.com's savings guru Jeffrey Strain to help you make it to the new year without going broke.
First off, before you hit the mall for the Black Friday sales, make sure you read Strain's "How to Get the Best Deals on Black Friday." The day got its name because it's when retailers supposedly turn a profit, so learn tips on how to minimize your exposure to crowds and sweet-talking salespeople.
While gift-giving is a great experience, show some restraint by doing a little planning beforehand. Strain's "10 Steps to Avoid Holiday Debt" offers practical advice, such as making a list of people you need to buy gifts for, setting a budget and doing a little research before you shop.
Remembering all the people you have to tip at the end of the year is a sometimes daunting task. Strain's "Five Tips on Tipping" offers a list of people to consider, as well as other practical advice about gratuities.
Having a holiday party? The food and beverage bill can add up. Learn "10 Secrets of 'Coupon Queens'" for a few ways to reduce your costs.
Finally, don't lose sight of rebates on big purchases like TVs and computers. Strain tells you how to "Make Rebates Work for You."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV