Top Five Large-Cap Stocks
Praxair (PX) produces, sells and distributes industrial gases. It has been rated a buy since November 2005. The buy rating is supported by the company's robust revenue growth, expanding profit margins, increased net income and notable return on equity.
Third-quarter profit climbed 23% to $305 million, or 94 cents a share, while revenue increased 13% to $2.37 billion. The company's Asian and South American segments grew the most, supported by new business and project start-ups, while North America saw continued stable growth. Higher sales, improved pricing, cost efficiency and productivity programs helped the gross profit margin to grow by 121 basis points to 41.23%.
Risks to the company's performance include increase in the leverage level to 0.82 from 0.71, led by a 26.1% surge in total debt and the unfavorable effect of currency fluctuations.
L-3 Communications Holdings (LLL), a military-equipment company, has been rated a buy since October 2005. Third-quarter net income rose 21% over a year ago. Revenue increased by 11.1% during the same period, outpacing the industry average of 8.5%.L-3's earnings per share grew by 19.1% and the company's stable EPS growth over the past year indicates that it has sound management over its earnings and share float. Its net operating cash flow rose 24.41% to $324.10 million during the third quarter compared with the same period last year. L-3 Communications said it expects 2008 earnings to be within the range of Wall Street's expectations. Though the company's stock price rose by 36.16% in the 12 months prior to Nov. 1, it should continue to move higher.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV