Tuesday's Financial Winners & Losers
Financial stocks suffered a furiously traded bloodbath Tuesday afternoon following
(FRE) announcement of an
Freddie shares tanked by more than 28%, and fellow mortgage investor Fannie Mae (FNM) by nearly 25%, after the former reported a loss of $2 billion, or $3.29 a share. That's nearly triple the amount of last year's loss, which panned out at $1.17 a share.
In light of its dire cash levels, Freddie also said it might cut its dividend in half next quarter and that it's considering "very near term capital raising alternatives" with help from Goldman Sachs (GS) and Lehman Brothers (LEH).
Freddie slid $10.76 to $26.74 as Fannie traded down $9.33 to $28.25.A Fox-Pitt analyst meanwhile argued that, if the foundering Freddie and Fannie can't purchase Countrywide's (CFC) loans, the mortgage lender's viability of remaining in business will be
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV