FCC Creates Dimmer Picture for TV Stocks
That said, the public-interest arguments against cross-ownership are winning, and incumbent politicians have little incentive to push for change, since they're hardly eager to be beholden to a dominant media owner in their district. While no one was happy with Martin's attempt at a compromise, it's clear that his proposal was as far as Washington is willing to go.
Belo (BLC), which announced a plan to split its newspaper assets away from its TV assets in early October, has seen little benefit from the decision. It closed at $16.38 -- down 4.9% from where it closed before it announced the restructuring.
That could be explained away by recent selling in the broader stock market, except that Scripps (SSP), which announced in mid-October it will divest its fast-growing cable networks but keep its local newspaper and TV assets together, is trading up 5.5% since the announcement.
"We've been waiting for cross-ownership rules to change," says Gabelli's Lucas. "They haven't and this latest go-round doesn't make it look particularly more likely."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV