Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
The small-cap sector inched forward after mixed action, but generally trailed behind the major indices Thursday.
One of the day's biggest gainers, Irvine, Calif.-based Local.com (LOCM) chugged ahead 45% to $5.41 on news that the company would begin licensing its patented geographic indexing technology to five client companies.
Strong fiscal fourth-quarter earnings from Kulicke & Soffa (KLIC) bumped shares up 10% to $7.47. The Fort Washington, Pa., semiconductor-equipment maker posted continuing-operations earnings of $30.3 million, or 47 cents a share, blowing by analyst EPS expectations of 33 cents and railing on year-ago earnings of 19 cents a share.
Acacia Research (ACTG), a technology licensing company based in Newport Beach, Calif., saw shares shoot up 10% to $17.15 after the company announced it had settled a patent-infringement lawsuit with AT&T (T). Terms are confidential.Meanwhile, Pittsburgh's Ansoft (ANST) issued solid fiscal second-quarter earnings. The software maker posted earnings of 21 cents a share, or $5.2 million, up from 14 cents a share, or $3.7 million, in the same period last year. After spending most of the day in positive territory, shares dipped a penny to $29.28. On the ropes for the day was Home Solutions of America (HSOA). The provider of home restoration and construction services slumped 20% to $1.57 after delaying its third-quarter earnings report and conference call. The company had previously delayed the report on Nov. 7 in order to review related-party transactions, among other things.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV