U of Maryland's Undergrad Fund Earns 'Street Cred'
As of Nov. 7, the fund was made up of 94% stocks (composed of about 28 individual companies) and 6% cash, and was beating the S&P 500 by 0.92% (since the fund's inception on Oct. 26, 2006).
At each fund meeting, one of the student analysts presents a stock to all of the fund members for consideration.
With so much of the fund invested in individual stocks, what are these student money-runners' most notable stock picks?The Senbet Fund's five biggest stock holdings: 1. CVS Caremark (CVS)
2. Coca-Cola (KO)
3. Apple (AAPL)
4. CONSOL Energy (CNX)
5. General Electric (GE) The Senbet Fund's five best stock performers: 1. Apple (AAPL)
2. CONSOL Energy (CNX)
3. McDonald's (MCD)
4. Air Products & Chemicals (APD)
5. Chesapeake Energy (CBK) The Senbet Fund Checks HealthSpring's Pulse The latest company presented to the Senbet Fund's members was HealthSpring (HS), a managed care organization that provides healthcare services to qualifying Medicare subscribers in five states. Arkady Gelman, the fund's healthcare analyst presented HealthSpring as a buy. But the buy recommendation wasn't based on a gut feeling. Much of it was based on a very impressive discounted cash flow analysis that puts HealthSpring's projected share price well above its recent sub-$20 trading range . Gelman's argument focused on the idea that HealthSpring's potential for growth and small market cap would provide a nice bit of diversification for the fund's healthcare positions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV