Bear Stearns Girds for More Losses
Bear Stearns (BSC) expects to take a $1.2 billion writedown related to its exposure to mortgage-related securities in the fourth quarter, but said its leveraged finance business is getting better.
The writedowns are linked to the liquidation of Bear's warehouse of collateralized debt obligations and other subprime mortgages, whose prices have been crushed in the market over the past two months.
However, Bear has cut its exposure to CDOs by more than half since the end of August, to $884 million, and its long position in domestic subprime mortgages has been eliminated. That apparently led investors to believe Bear has gotten a handle on the biggest of its problems, and they sent its shares up 6.1% to $107 in premarket trading.
"[I] don't want to predict that things couldn't get worse, because things keep surprising," Chief Financial Officer Sam Molinaro Jr. commented during an investor conference in New York sponsored by Merrill Lynch (MER). "While hedges have worked reasonably well ... there are no perfect hedges. The perfect hedge is selling the assets."Molinaro said that the business of originating and selling mortgage securities had essentially coming to a "grinding halt," but he held out hope that the company's prime brokerage and global clearing business in the U.S. and internationally would excel. "We think that the business more broadly away from mortgages is very well poised in 2008," he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV