Qualcomm Enters Mobile Banking
Qualcomm (QCOM) says it will pay $210 million for Firethorn a wireless banking tech shop.
The move by the San Diego wireless tech giant marks a shift in product strategy toward services and away from its core mobile phone networking business. Other wireless firms like handset leader Nokia (NOK) have also broadened their plans into services like email, music sales and navigation.
Qualcomm expects the deal for the Atlanta mobile banking outfit to shave about 2 cents from its 2008 profits.
"Qualcomm is a recognized technology leader and this acquisition is a strong endorsement of the strategic importance of mobile commerce," Firethorn CEO Tripp Rackley said in a press release Wednesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV