Talk of CEO Change Swirls at AMD
While Sanders built AMD and served as its chief executive for 33 years, Ruiz came closest to bringing the company to the promised land, overseeing AMD's transformation from a me-too chipmaker to an established, if undersized, player in today's PC microprocessor duopoly.
The key to that breakthrough was the introduction in 2003 of the Opteron processor, which featured impressive performance and energy-efficiency that allowed AMD to gain market share by winning accounts with PC makers like Dell (DELL), which had historically brought microprocessors exclusively from Intel (INTC).
Shares of AMD grew nearly seven-fold during a three-year period ending in early 2006.
This track record has earned Ruiz a nice reserve of goodwill inside and outside the company, something that may explain why there haven't been louder calls for his head given the magnitude of AMD's recent woes."It wasn't very long ago that AMD could do no wrong," says Stifel Nicolaus analyst Acree. AMD's two largest shareholders, Capital Research and Management and Fidelity Management & Research, which own 16% and 13% of the chipmaker, respectively, both declined to comment on individual holdings. How much breathing room Ruiz has left is unclear. AMD's stock is down 38% this year, closing Tuesday's regular session at $12.40. Just as importantly, the company's product line looks weak compared to the onslaught of
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV