Tuesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small-cap stocks were buoyed by the cheery broader market Tuesday, and among the biggest movers was Bob Evans Farms (BOBE).
Shares rose 15.2% to $29.60 on the heels of the chain restaurant operator's fiscal second-quarter earnings. Excluding one-time items, Bob Evans reported income of $14.5 million, or 43 cents a share, compared with 36 cents a share in the year-ago quarter. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial were expecting EPS of 39 cents.
Also surging on earnings was Bidz.com (BIDZ). The online jewelry retailer reported a third-quarter profit of $3.6 million, or 14 cents a share, compared with $1 million, or 4 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter. Analysts were looking for EPS of 11 cents. Shares of the Culver City, Calif., company jumped $3.20, or 22%, to $17.80.
New Jersey's Hill International (HINT) saw shares climb 10.5% to $11.05 after the construction services and management firm posted third-quarter income of 15 cents a share, or $3.8 million, beating analysts' expectations of 11 cents a share. Last year, the company made 12 cents a share, or $2.9 million.On the losing side, shares of Superconductor Tech (SCON) were falling 7.8% after the California-based communication-equipment maker reported a third-quarter loss of $2 million, or 16 cents a share. That's a slight improvement over last year, but revenue also sank 30.3% to $4.1 million. Shares were off 60 cents to $7.10. TravelCenters of America (TA), a franchiser of highway refreshment areas, dropped 27.8% after a disappointing third-quarter report. The Ohio-based company swung to a loss of $12.6 million, or 90 cents a share, from a profit of $14 million, or $1.84 a share, in the year-ago quarter. Revenue, at $1.78 billion, was below consensus. Shares were trading at $17.16.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV