Fortress Eyes Opportunity In Mortgage Mess
Fortress Investment Group (FIG) may aim to ramp up its investments in mortgage paper, which have starkly fallen out of favor on Wall Street.
The U.S.'s first publicly-traded alternative investment firm says it could step up its investment in residential asset-backed debt as the market dislocation subsides over the next two or three years.
"The next two years certainly we're going to be very focused on the entire residential and asset-back sector," said Co-President Peter Briger Jr., during the company's third-quarter earnings call. The Fortress executive said that he would not be surprised if the investment manager sought to raise additional funds "to go after those assets on a stand alone basis," but didn't elaborate further.
"At Fortress we don't like to bet the ranch, and lose the ranch," Briger later added. He also said the company doesn't like highly leveraged fixed-income investments.Fortress stock jumped about 6.6% to $18.34 on the heels of Briger's comments. The company's performance comes a day after private equity firm Blackstone Group (BX) reported a net loss of $113.2 million, or 44 cents a share, including costs of $802.6 million, mostly from compensation related to its June IPO. Blackstone, which has been pummeled in the market since going public, warned that it could record losses "for a number of years" related to its IPO.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV