Biotech Notebook: Hythiam, Shire, Genentech
Is there a CEO in health care who talks more but says less than Hythiam (HYTM) head honcho Terren Peizer?
I think not, especially after listening to two recent Hythiam conference calls -- one to discuss results from a clinical trial involving its controversial Prometa drug-treatment program, the other focused on third-quarter financial results.
Both calls were marathon affairs in which Peizer, if paid by the spoken word, would have earned himself a place on the Forbes 400 list. Sadly, most of what Peizer says is dubious-sounding hype, although happily, investors seem to see through it all. The result: Hythiam's stock price is in free fall.
Hythiam shares have dropped 50% to $3.65 since announcing "positive" results from the Prometa study on Nov. 1, followed by "record" third-quarter results one week later.It didn't take much more than a cursory read of the press release announcing the trial results to see that Hythiam was playing a fast and loose with its analysis, counting only those patients who completed treatment, excluding those who dropped out. Maybe Hythiam didn't think investors and analysts would notice this data fudge, but when they did, Peizer and his team became mighty defensive. The low point of the conference call came when the study's lead investigator -- someone who's supposed to be an independent and objective arbiter of Prometa -- began recounting personal stories of meth addicts in the trial buying Hythiam stock because they were convinced that the treatment had turned their lives around.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV