Monday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
The small-cap sector saw choppy trading in and out of the green Monday, and among the biggest winners was Questcor Pharmaceuticals (QSC).
Shares rocketed 45% after the California-based outfit swung to a third-quarter profit of $8.4 million, or 12 cents a share, compared with a year-ago loss of 3 cents a share. Revenue more than tripled year over year to $14.8 million. Shares surged 61 cents, or 46.6%, to $1.92.
Globecomm Systems (GCOM) shares soared 25% after the company said it signed a $9.9 million contract with the Defense Department for its Joint IP Modem product, which it says will thereafter become the Department's standard network IP modem for use on military and commercial satellites. The Hauppauge, N.Y., company also said the value of the deal could vault to $87 million over the next three years if certain options are fully exercised.
ViaSat (VSAT) will perform subcontract work for development and production. Globecomm shares bounced $3.05 to $15.31; ViaSat dipped a penny to $31.91.Fellow tech name SPSS (SPSS), a Chicago-based software company, traded higher after Roth Capital upgraded it to buy from hold, saying that its shares have plunged too low lately. SPSS stock jumped 6.3% to $35.47. Elsewhere, Canada's Intertape Polymer (ITP) posted a third-quarter profit of $972,000, or 2 cents a share, on climbing revenue of $201.9 million. Last year the maker of polyolefin films, among other things, lost $3.01 a share. In addition, Intertape announced that it has appointed Victor DiTommaso as its new CFO. Shares leapt 59 cents, or 20.3%, to $3.49.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV