Asian Markets Tumble
Asian markets plunged under the weight of a rising yen and uncertainty over the global impacts of the U.S. credit crunch in Monday's trading.
The Hang Seng was the day's biggest faller, shedding 1,117 points, or 3.88%, to 27,665. That's the index's first time closing below the 28,000 benchmark since October 1. The Shanghai Composite Index lost 127 points, or 2.4%, to 5,187, after Beijing
The Nikkei dropped 386 points, or 2.48%, to 15,197, losing all of this year's gains and ending the day in negative territory for the year. In Korea, even the Kospi, which has been popular with value investors this fall, plummeted 67 points, or 3.37%, to 1,923.
"There are ongoing concerns about what's happening in the U.S. about credit concerns. Asian markets have gone up a hell of a lot, and it's good excuse for taking a bit of money out of the markets," says Peter Haimes, chief investment officer of Aberdeen Asset Management in Singapore. "When you look around markets have done spectacularly well, and pockets have got ahead of themselves. China has attracted a huge amount of interest and is probably overdue a correction."In China, Beijing announced its October surplus was $27.05 billion vs. $23.91 in September, well below analyst expectations of $31 billion. Monday's biggest fallers were consumer stocks and electronics exporters. In Hong Kong, China Unicom (CHU) plummeted 8.62%, to HK$14.42, while rivals China Netcom (CN) and China Mobile (CHL) dived 4.44%, to HK$20.45 and 7.6%, to HK$129.40, respectively. In financials, China Life Insurance (LFC) slipped 4.28%, to HK$42.50, while Ping An tumbled 5.75%, to HK$87.60.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV