Poolside in Palm Springs
At 2 p.m. on a winter weekend, it's the hottest place to be in California.
The pool scene of Palm Springs comes alive with hip Los Angeles exports attempting to regain their summer bronze amongst the shade of swaying palms and the background of the San Jaciento Mountains. Starlet-wannabes strut their stuff in Marc Jacobs bikinis as board-shorts-wearing guys watch on with margaritas in hand.
Halfway between a 30-something frat scene and truly jetset destination, Palm Springs is awakening with a fresh new level of luxury including designer hotels and be-seen restaurants.
With the exception of a round of tennis or morning of golf, the city is best enjoyed at a choosy pool equipped with a full bar and loungers topped with eye candy.
Architecture enthusiasts should tour the local neighborhoods near Palm Canyon Drive, dotted with preserved residential wonders from architects Neutra, Shindler and Lautner. Try to avoid spending too much time on the main thoroughfares, which are infested with terrible strip-mall architecture and sprawling chain resorts.Those looking for something a bit more strenuous should hit the nearby Tahquitz "Indian" Canyons (500 W. Mesquite Drive, Palm Springs), a real-life desert oasis with flowing streams and spectacular desert topography.
Jonathan Adler vs. Kelly WearstlerThere are only two hotels we can truly recommend. In one corner we have The Parker Palm Springs (Merv Griffin's former Givenchy Resort) redesigned by pottery doyen Jonathan Adler. The property promises glitz and glamour, and even delivered a short-lived reality show about the staff's efforts to please picky guests.
|Parker Palm Springs|
If you can afford an upgraded room, hit the Parker's sprawling villas, which contain well-quaffed terraces and living room swings that were even good enough for Brangelina.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV