Stop Apologizing for Failed CEOs
The week started with Chuck Prince, the disgraced CEO of Citigroup (C), saying that he was resigning because it was the honorable thing to do. The week ends with the news that, as part and parcel of the honorable thing, Prince will be leaving with $40 million in booty.
And how did the business media react to that news? You really didn't ask that, did you?
With happy talk and apologies of course. And while it is painful to read, the Business Press Maven is happy to address it. The business media so matter-of-factly accept CEO worship that my hope is consistently targeting this malfeasance might eventually strike at those puff-files that (mis)lead investors to believe their company is in the hands of a God and, the real God willing, strike at these ridiculous pay packages and gilded offerings, which throw in the kitchen sink in rewarding incompetence as much as achievement, that waste shareholder money as needlessly as blowing 50s out the window.
But ask me sometime and I'll tell you how I really feel. Until then, let us flagellate the offenders in the Prince affair.Reuters reports the $40 million news in the first sentence before putting it all into perspective in the second. And what
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV