Stop Apologizing for Failed CEOs
The week started with Chuck Prince, the disgraced CEO of Citigroup (C), saying that he was resigning because it was the honorable thing to do. The week ends with the news that, as part and parcel of the honorable thing, Prince will be leaving with $40 million in booty.
And how did the business media react to that news? You really didn't ask that, did you?
With happy talk and apologies of course. And while it is painful to read, the Business Press Maven is happy to address it. The business media so matter-of-factly accept CEO worship that my hope is consistently targeting this malfeasance might eventually strike at those puff-files that (mis)lead investors to believe their company is in the hands of a God and, the real God willing, strike at these ridiculous pay packages and gilded offerings, which throw in the kitchen sink in rewarding incompetence as much as achievement, that waste shareholder money as needlessly as blowing 50s out the window.
But ask me sometime and I'll tell you how I really feel. Until then, let us flagellate the offenders in the Prince affair.Reuters reports the $40 million news in the first sentence before putting it all into perspective in the second. And what passes for perspective? Remarkably, pointing out that Prince was not handed as much as his partner in abysmal failure over at Merrill Lynch. Intoned Reuters: "The package is less than a quarter of what former Merrill Lynch Chief Executive Stan O'Neal was awarded when he was ousted from the investment bank last week."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV