Boston College 'Goes Long' the Stock Market
The club's overall strategy, according to a recent student presentation, is "to combine top-down economic analysis with bottom-up stock selection. The top-down approach identifies countries, sectors and industries that may benefit from observed micro and macro trends. We will then look for individual companies with earnings growth potential that may not be recognized by the market at large, using a bottom-up stock selection process."
The portfolio currently holds 41 securities , many of which have been held for 10 years or more. Some examples, with their original purchase dates and share prices, include:
- Microsoft (MSFT): Dec. 6, 1994, at $4.61
- General Electric (GE): Nov. 5, 1997 at $23.17
- Caterpillar (CAT): Feb. 14, 1995 at $13.31
- Apple (AAPL) at $75.24
- Bank of America (BAC) at $54.22
- Cheesecake Factory (CAKE) at $36.29
- Bed Bath & Beyond (BBBY) at $36.39
- Network Appliances (NTAP) at $35.62
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV