Boston College 'Goes Long' the Stock Market
This article was written by Stockpickr member Ira Krakow.
Boston College has a long and illustrious football tradition. It includes Doug Flutie's 1984 "Miracle in Miami," and the school is where NFL All-Pros such as Matt Hasselbeck (Seattle Seahawks) and Dan Koppen (New England Patriots) got their start. But B.C. doesn't just shine on the football field. It is financial superstar and former manager of the Fidelity Magellan Fund (FMAGX) Peter Lynch's (undergraduate) alma mater and it's the home of the thriving Boston College Investment Club.
25 Years of 'Going Long' in the Stock Market
The B.C. Investment Club was founded in 1983 by William Doty, a junior economics major at the B.C. Carroll School of Management. Doty raised the club's $15,000 of initial capital from interested donors. Now 25 years later, the club is B.C.'s largest student group, with about 500 members, and it runs an investment portfolio of approximately $360,000. Over the years, the club's portfolio has become part of B.C.'s endowment and it has received $90,000 in public donations. The rest of the increase in capital has come from the investment skills of the undergraduate investors, who (according to the club's Web site) have consistently outperformed their benchmark , the S&P 500 .So how does the B.C. Investment Club work? The club's portfolio consists of one long -only equity fund held at an E*Trade account. It is managed by a student executive committee, and Professor Harold Petersen, of B.C. Carroll's Department of Economics, serves as the club's faculty adviser.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV