Asia: Financials Weigh on Market
This would be a negative for the yen, and may mean funds begin to start borrowing from the Bank of Japan again by the end of the year. That would also be a plus for Chinese shares, which have traditionally benefited from speculators using cheap Japanese debt to buy in Hong Kong. Lending in Japan rose 1.4% on the year last month, its highest rise in four months.
Still, ABN Amro's Knol says that valuations, particularly in Chinese financials, have risen to a level where he is uncomfortable buying, and that unlike many Hong Kong money managers, he is not looking for a fall in the indices to prompt a buying opportunity.
"There is so much interest in investing in these stocks domestically, so your multiples have gone through the roof -- it scares me a bit," he says.
"You know [banks in China] have never been through a credit cycle so you don't know how disciplined they have been with underwriting risk. I'm not looking for near-term downswing so I'm just trimming a little here and there," he adds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV