Asia: Financials Weigh on Market
Chinese property stocks, which have led a recent rally in the region after rate cutting by the U.S. Federal Reserve, also suffered the bloodbath.
In Japan, exports were hit hard, as the yen soared to its highest level in nearly 18 months. The yen was trading at 112.59 yen vs. dollars in Asian trading, up from yesterday's 113.95.That's great news for the Currencyshares Japanese Yen Trust (FXY) ETF, which has been gaining this week as the yen has refused to slide vs. global currencies and the yen carry trade has been out of favor with Asian hedge funds. Sony (SNE) lost 2.35%, to 5,390 yen, while Canon (CAJ) lost 1.04%, to 5,660 yen, and Nintendo (NTDOY) plunged 5.5%, to 63,800 yen. Machine orders in Japan, which is a widely-used proxy for investment in the country, fell by 7.6% in September on the month, much weaker than the 1.5% decline expected by analysts. This signals that the Bank of Japan may hold off raising Japanese interest rates even in the first quarter of 2008, as many widely expected, say regional economists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV