Wednesday's Health Winners & Losers
Biotech stocks left something to be desired Wednesday, losing investor enthusiasm over breakups, regulatory setbacks and earnings.
(NSTK) fell after Procter & Gamble Pharmaceuticals, a unit of
Nastech shares slid $5.37, or 38%, to $8.62. It's a component of the Nasdaq biotechnology index, which was also down 22.7 points, or 2.6%, at 858.29.
Momenta (MNTA) shed another 35 cents, or 6.2%, to $5.32 on Wednesday, as investors continued to react to the FDA's rejection of a generic form of blood-clotting drug Lovenox. Momenta, which partners with Novartis (NVS) for the drug, on Tuesday said the FDA was concerned with the drug's immunogenicity, or whether the drug could produce an immune response. On Wednesday, the stock was downgraded by Deutsche Securities from buy to hold and by Rodman & Renshaw from market outperform to market perform.One winner Wednesday was Onyx Pharmaceuticals (ONXX), which climbed $8.68, or 17.6%, to $58.03. The company said after the market close Tuesday that it earned $555,000, or a penny a share, compared to a loss of $20.1 million, or 49 cents a share, in the comparable year-ago period. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial had expected a loss of 21 cents a share. Bayer, the company's partner for cancer drug Nexavar, reported that the drug generated revenue of $104.6 million in the quarter, up sharply from $45.4 million in the comparable year-ago period. On Wednesday analysts seemed enthusiastic about Nexavar sales -- Lehman Brothers upped its price target to $60 from $54; HSBC Securities upped its target to $61 from $44; and BMO Capital Markets raised its target to $46 from $41.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV