Mum's the Word at Time Warner
"That forecast is for Time Warner as we know it today," said Parsons on the conference call. "It applies to the current long-term plan, including the cable business."
For the third quarter, Time Warner's net income fell to $1.09 billion, or 30 cents a share, from $2.32 billion, or 57 cents a share, a year earlier, when results included gains from asset sales and tax-related items.
Earnings from continuing operations were 24 cents a share in the latest quarter, matching Thomson Financial's average analyst estimate. The company earned 19 cents a share on a comparable basis a year ago.
Its revenue rose 9% for the quarter to $11.68 billion from last year's $10.75 billion. That beat expectations for revenue of $11.36 billion.Shares of the media colossus were recently down 3 cents, or 0.2%, to $18.30. Time Warner Cable (TWC), which was partially spun off early this year in an IPO, posted a 28% jump in profits, thanks to new subscribers coming from bankrupt Adelphia Communications and growth of its triple-play offering, which includes digital cable, phone and broadband Internet access. Its revenue rose 25% to $4 billion.
Time Warner saw the biggest revenue growth at its filmed entertainment division, where the top line jumped 33% to $3.18 billion. Adjusted earnings from its film businesses, consisting of the New Line and Warner Bros. studios, jumped 71% to $359 million thanks to the latest Harry Potter flick, Ocean's 13 and Hairspray.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV