$1,000 Google? Sure, but Why Bother?
Five hundred Google. Six hundred Google. Seven hundred Google.
Are we going to see $1,000 Google (GOOG)?
Why not? After all, isn't the sky the limit? Sandeep Aggarwal, an analyst at Oppenheimer & Co., just raised his price target for the stock yesterday to $850. So I figure I'd go to four figures.
And Wall Street always likes a big round number. Dow 10,000. Nasdaq 5,000, oil $100.Google hit a new record of $736 yesterday. It's been gaining an average of about $5 a day since it started taking off two months ago. By my calendar, it's on track to hit the big $1,000 in the last week in January. You want to take the over or the under? If everyone piles on, it could of course get there much sooner. A self-fulfilling prophecy. So what would $1,000 Google look like? That stock price would give this nine-year old company a market value of around $310 billion. That's still smaller than the likes of Exxon (XOM), at $486 billion, and General Electric (GE) at $412 billion. And it's still slightly behind Microsoft (MSFT) at $344 billion. But at $1,000 a share, Google would be worth more than veteran drug giants Merck (MRK) and Pfizer (PFE) together. It would be worth twice as much as Apple (AAPL). That's some baby. But the company's soaring stock market fortune raises one big question: What sort of long-term return can the shares offer from these levels?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV