Beazer Suspends Dividend
Beazer Homes (BZH), reeling from the housing market collapse, suspended its quarterly dividend and said it has slashed 25% of its workforce.
The Atlanta-based homebuilder said Monday that the suspension of its 10-cent quarterly dividend will help it conserve about $16 million in cash on an annual basis. Beazer said the move was "prudent" in light of the continued deterioration in the housing market.
In addition, the company said it has taken steps to reduce its annual costs by at least $30 million. Beazer said it cut about 650 jobs in October, about 25% of its workforce.
Beazer has yet to file its financial results for the fourth quarter ended Sept. 30 because of an investigation into accounting mistakes. The company said, though, that it expects to record charges of about $230 million in the period for land inventory impairments and the abandonment of land option contracts. In addition, the builder is evaluating the potential for goodwill impairment charges.Beazer said it had $459.5 million in cash at the end of the fourth quarter, up from $128.8 million a year earlier. The company had already disclosed that its home orders tumbled 53% for the period to 973 homes. Beazer also had an extraordinarily high cancellation rate of 68%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV