Garmin Hits Trouble Spot
Garmin's options may have been further reduced by the fact that building its own maps database is an expensive option.
"It is an exceedingly difficult task to build the maps from scratch," said Cliff Pemble, chief operating officer of Garmin. "It's what we call technically possible, and there's certainly new technology that can be brought to bear in doing so, but it's a proposition that's got high risk from an execution point of view, and a very long time schedule."
Even if Garmin ultimately beats out TomTom for Tele Atlas, analysts are worried about the ease of integrating such a merger.
Garmin has relied on Navteq more than Tele Atlas to supply the mapping data. TomTom is culturally closer to Tele Atlas, says Sutherland.Garmin has tried to play down the transition and has said that if it is successful in its bid for Tele Atlas, it anticipates over the next 12 to 24 months it can wind down its relationship with Navteq and move some products to Tele Atlas. That's the dilemma for Garmin: win the battle for Tele Atlas and deal with perhaps years of integration challenges, or lose out to TomTom and face investors' wrath as the company's position in the market erodes.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV