Garmin Hits Trouble Spot
Garmin may end up with no choice but to pay a higher price after it was caught by surprise acquisition moves in the past few months involving the two key players in the mapping industry --- Navteq (NVT) and Tele Atlas.
TomTom got the ball rolling with its cash offer of 21.25 euros a share of Tele Atlas on July 23. The offer represented a 28% premium over the closing price of 16.55 euros a share on July 20, the last day before the bid for shares were made.
On Oct. 1, cell phone maker Nokia (NOK) surprised the industry with its $8.1 billion bid for Navteq -- a move that pushed Garmin tighter into a corner.
"Our consideration of an offer to acquire is really rather recent given the significant changes that have just recently taken place in the industry over the last 90 days," Kevin Rauckman, chief financial officer of Garmin acknowledged on a recent conference call, "and given those current moves toward consolidation in the sector we believe that now is the right time for us to combine with a mapping supplier."Garmin has also largely been using rival Navteq's mapping data, so a switch to Tele Atlas would cause considerable integration problems and bode a very bumpy ride ahead for the company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV