Garmin Hits Trouble Spot
"TomTom could see its proposed combination with Tele Atlas as a matter of life or death and will gradually raise its bid as high as its cash flow and capitalization will allow," Reiner said in a recent note to clients.
There's little doubt that TomTom will come back with a new bid -- something even Garmin has acknowledged in its recent conference call with analysts.
Shares of Tele Atlas were trading at $40.29 Monday, suggesting investors expect a higher counteroffer from TomTom.
That would force Garmin to raise its offer up to $59.32 a share. Reiner assigns a 40% probability to this scenario. CIBC makes a market in Garmin shares.The possibility of such a bidding war has hurt Garmin's shares since its bid was announced. The stock was off another 4% on Monday to $94.32. Given the health of its balance sheet, Garmin could effortlessly bid higher than TomTom, says Scott Sutherland, managing director and Garmin analyst at Wedbush Morgan. "But it's more complex than the price," says Sutherland. "There are a lot of variables such as how dilutive the acquisition is and how easily Garmin can move its stuff over to Tele Atlas." Wedbush Morgan does not own shares or have an investment banking relationship with Garmin.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV