Garmin Hits Trouble Spot
For Garmin (GRMN) and TomTom, the battle for Dutch digital mapping company Tele Atlas is a fight for their future.
The two companies, best known for their automotive consumer navigation systems, run nearly head-to-head in global market share for their devices. Each hopes that the purchase of a mapping data provider yield a competitive edge.
Last week, Garmin raised the stakes in this battle further when it launched an unsolicited 2.3 billion euro ($3.3 billion) bid for Tele Atlas to counter a three-month-old offer from its biggest competitor, TomTom.
Garmin's bid stunned investors and marked the beginning of what analysts see as an expensive bidding war. Indeed, one analyst believes Garmin is prepared to go as high as $5.5 billion.For Garmin, the addition of Tele Atlas will help it break out of its mold as a hardware company and gain entry to new markets in wireless and automotive segments by offering better local search, 3D-mapping and real-time traffic flow data, the company has said. But a victory for Garmin doesn't come without its share of problems. CIBC analyst Yair Reiner believes with the cash in hand and debt, TomTom could raise the price for Tele Atlas as high as $5 to $5.5 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV